Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Sun Kil Moon - Benji (2014)


I couldn't post during the last few days because I was busy with graduation activities, but I'm back! It was a quiet morning on my commute to work and something inside me made me put this album on the aux for the drive. This is one of my favorite albums of all time. 

Sun Kil Moon is a project from the prolific Mark Kozelek, an Ohio native. He started making albums with his band the Red House Painters, where their music is mostly slow core. Personally, I find Red House Painters to be a tad boring, but the band has my respects, no doubt. His solo projects interest me much more. Mark currently releases music under his real name (and I thought his latest release was really good) and under the Sun Kil Moon name. 

Benji is probably his most famous album to date thanks to a positive review from Pitchfork. Most songs are composed only by Mark and his guitar, but a couple of his feature a band. What makes me love this album are the lyrics. Mark writes his lyrics in this stream of consciousness fashion that makes the listen extremely entertaining. Sometimes, abstract or vague poetry just gets annoying and pretentious, but this no b.s. approach to lyrics makes it easier to learn the message or themes Mark presents throughout the album. Additionally, this is a sad album, but not a whiny, or drone-y kind of sad you get from a lot of artists today. These are reflections from Mark's past memories and it is almost as if he wants you to learn from these experiences as well. Honestly, you just need to listen to the album to understand where I'm coming from. Sorry for the lazy and long write up, but I don't think I could ever write this album the positive review it deserves. Also, Ohio natives, I recommend listening close for the references to our home state. It might make you appreciate this album even more.

Last thoughts: "Carissa" is an extremely compelling opener; "I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love" will make you cry; "I Love My Dad" is a jam; "I Watched the Film the Song Remains the Same" hits me deep; "Ben's My Friend" is the most perfect way to end this album.

Track list:
1. Carissa
2. I Can't Live Without My Mother's Love
3. Truck Driver
4. Dogs
5. Pray for Newtown
6. Jim Wise
7. I Love My Dad
8. I Watched the Film the Song Remains the Same
9. Richard Ramirez Died Today of Natural Causes
10. Micheline 
11. Ben's My Friend

I'll sing your name across every sea

No comments:

Post a Comment