Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Beach House - 7 (2018)


WOW! For those who aren't familiar with Beach House, they are a staple in the Dream Pop genre. Pitchfork lauds almost anything they put out and their music have been the soundtracks for a lot of people's sweet memories. I've been a casual Beach House fan since I started this hobby with my favorite albums being Devotion and Depression Cherry. I like Teen Dream and Bloom, too, but some overexposure prevents them from being my favorites. I was disappointed with their last LP, Thank Your Lucky Stars, because it followed the more skeletal direction Depression Cherry took, but it was a lot more boring. So, when Beach House announced a new album, I was not entirely eager for the release. But, I liked all of the singles leading up to it, which helped replenish my excitement for the band. To my surprise, 7 was a completely stellar listen. It is a lot more rich and luxurious than all of their previous albums, much more depth than they usually put out. "Dive" will probably end up as one of my favorite tracks of the year. This should've been the album that came out after Bloom, but hey, I still drop the needle on my Depression Cherry record from time to time. Over time, I can see this crystallizing into my top 3 favorite Beach House albums and eventually, if it hits me right, my favorite record by them. Best listened to on vinyl with a significant other at nighttime. 

Track list:
1. Dark Spring
2. Pay No Mind
3. Lemon Glow
4. L'Inconnue
5. Drunk in LA
6. Dive
7. Black Car
8. Lose Your Smile 
9. Woo
10. Girl of the Year
11. Last Ride

Tell her something,
Tell her nothing,
Tell her that you're waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment